Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

The bank foreclosed on my property and plans to sell it at a sheriff's sale (or auction). I haven't filed a complaint with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Is it too late for the OCC to help me stop the sale?

The OCC generally does not have the authority to stop a sheriff's sale or auction of a foreclosed property, but you can file a complaint with the OCC if you are having problems with your bank's handling of your mortgage loan.

The OCC can facilitate communications between you and the bank once your written complaint is received. We advise you to contact the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to review information and understand your options. This service is free and available 24/7. You may also want to seek legal assistance to protect your rights.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us