Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

I am concerned that my bank may be preparing to foreclose. Where can I get help?

You should contact your servicer or lender as soon as possible.

Your servicer or lender is typically in the best position to know the facts of your situation and would be best able to discuss your specific situation and explore options that may be available to you. You may also benefit from credit counseling from a qualified nonprofit credit counseling agency. For a list of such organizations that have been approved by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), you may call (800) 225-5342 or visit the HUD website.

If you are suffering financial hardship because of COVID-19, visit the frequently asked questions about COVID-19.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us