Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

There is incorrect information on my credit report. Can I file a direct dispute with the company that provided the information (known as the information furnisher)?

You can dispute information on your credit report directly with the furnisher of that information if it is about an account or other relationship you have with the furnisher.

A furnisher must conduct a reasonable investigation of a direct dispute if it relates to any of the following issues:

  • Whether you are responsible for a credit account or debt with that furnisher. This would include issues concerning
    • identity theft,
    • fraud,
    • liability, and
    • whether you are an authorized user of an account.
  • The terms of the account, such as disputes relating to the
    • type of account,
    • amount of the loan,
    • scheduled payment amount, or
    • credit limit on a credit card account.
  • The credit history reported about the account, such as disputes relating to
    • whether a payment was made,
    • high loan balance,
    • the date a payment was made, or date of delinquency,
    • the date the account was opened or closed.
  • Any other information contained in a credit report regarding an account or other relationship with the furnisher that bears on the consumer's
    • creditworthiness,
    • credit standing,
    • credit capacity,
    • character,
    • general reputation,
    • personal characteristics, or
    • mode of living.

Refer to 12 CFR 1022 "Fair Credit Reporting (Regulation V)" for more information.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us