Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

My home was damaged by an event—such as fire, wind, or storm—covered by my homeowner's policy. The bank will not send me the entire amount of the insurance check so that I can repair my home. What can I do?

As national banks have different policies and procedures for releasing insurance claim funds, you should review your mortgage loan documents for more information or contact your bank for more information.

The loan documents that a consumer signed at mortgage closing generally give the bank the authority to monitor the work and verify that repairs have been completed before sending funds to the consumer from the insurance check.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us