Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

I made a payment, but it has not shown up on my credit card / home equity line of credit / personal lines of credit statement. What can I do?

You can contact your bank, which may require you to file a written billing error notice. Send the notice to the address specified after "Send Billing Inquiries to:" or the address specified on your monthly billing statement. This address usually differs from where you send your payment.

You should file your written notice within 60 days of the date the bank sent the statement on which you believe the credit should have appeared.

You should provide documentation showing that you made the payment, such as a copy of the canceled check or an electronic payment confirmation.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us