Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

What do I do if I disagree with my appraisal report?

Provide your lender with a written description of the problem with the appraisal or evaluation and provide any evidence you may have. For example, if the appraisal or evaluation has an incorrect living area size for the subject property, provide factual evidence which supports your position. If you believe the appraiser selected comparable properties that were not the most comparable, submit a list of comparable properties that you would like to be considered. Typically, comparable sales should include the most recent and relevant sales, preferably within the last six months.

Lenders should have internal processes designed to address instances where consumers do not believe an appraisal report or an evaluation is accurate. Consumers should contact their lender to voice any concerns regarding their appraisals.

Consumers have the option of filing a complaint regarding their appraisal or evaluation directly with their lender, or through the lender’s federal regulator. Visit for more information about how to contact your lender’s regulator and how to file an appraisal complaint. Consumers may also request that a lender file a reconsideration of value for their appraisal.

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us