Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

What can I do if my bank took Social Security money from my checking account to pay on a loan that I owe to the bank?

You should contact your bank to inform them that the source of some, or all, of the money in your account was Social Security benefits. In some cases, depending on the terms of your account agreement, a bank may offset a debt owed to the bank by deducting funds in your checking or savings account. The offset terms will be outlined in your account agreement.

If you have questions about a bank's right of offset, you can review the deposit account agreement and contact the bank directly. You may also file a complaint with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency's (OCC) Customer Assistance Group.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us