Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

What if I have trouble paying my mortgage as a result of COVID-19?

You should contact your loan servicer as soon as possible to let them know of your circumstances. The OCC has encouraged banks to work with customers who have been adversely affected by COVID-19.

If your loan is owned by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (the Enterprises) and your ability to pay your mortgage is affected, you may be eligible to delay making your monthly mortgage payments temporarily. Additionally, on March 18, 2020, the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) directed the Enterprises to suspend foreclosures and evictions for at least 60 days because of the COVID-19 national emergency. The FHFA has extended the foreclosure and eviction moratorium until at least January 31, 2021. More information is available on the FHFA website

Also, on October 21, 2020, the Department of Housing and Urban Development announced that the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) is providing a two-month extension of its foreclosure and eviction moratorium for properties secured by mortgages insured by the FHA through February 28, 2021.

The OCC generally does not have the authority to stop a foreclosure, but you can file a “Customer Complaint Form” with the OCC if you are having problems with your bank’s handling of your mortgage loan. The OCC can facilitate communications between you and the bank once your written complaint is received. We advise you to contact the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to review information and understand your options. This service is free and available 24/7. You can visit the OCC’s Help With My Bank website and review the general information under the Mortgages category for more details. You may also want to seek legal assistance to protect your rights.

Last Reviewed: January 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us