Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

The bank paid a check from my account that was for the wrong amount. The bank stated that I waited too long to report the loss. How long is "too long"?

You should read your deposit account agreement for the notification timeframes specific to your bank and account type. You should notify the bank of the error as soon as possible. It's your responsibility to review your periodic statement and promptly advise the bank of any error(s).

If you incurred a loss from an electronic transaction, you should notify the bank as soon as possible, as there are separate laws that address this type of transaction.

If you incurred a loss from the fraudulent endorsement of a check, state laws typically allow you one year from the statement date to notify the bank.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us