Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

I wrote a check for $300, but the bank posted it as $3,000. The bank told me to get the money from the other party. Is this correct?

No. You should notify the bank of the error as soon as possible. If the check was altered, the bank may require you to complete an affidavit to officially document the problem. If this was an encoding error, the bank should correct the account and notify the paying bank.

The time period for this notification varies by bank and state. If a check was altered, your ability to recover the lost funds may depend on how quickly you notify the bank of the alteration.

Your deposit account agreement specifies your bank's specific time requirement for reporting errors.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us