Answers about Internet Scams
How do I report a phishing or suspicious email?
- Contact your financial institution immediately and alert it to the situation.
- If you have disclosed sensitive information in a phishing attack, you should also contact one of the three major credit bureaus and discuss whether you need to place a fraud alert on your file, which will help prevent thieves from opening a new account in your name. Here is the contact information for each bureau's fraud division:
P.O. Box 740250
Atlanta, GA 30374
P.O. Box 1017
Allen, TX 75013
P.O. Box 6790
Fullerton, CA 92634
- Report all suspicious contacts to Federal Trade Commission, or by calling 1-877-IDTHEFT.
- Local Law enforcement or local FBI Office, FBI.
- Report Internet phishing to the Anti-Phishing Working Group.
- Report spam, attempts to fraudulently obtain money or valuables, and criminal activity using the Internet to the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3)
- Additional fraud resources can be found at the OCC Consumer Protection page.