Will the new rules apply to all prepaid cards?
No. In general, the new rule applies to gift cards and to cards that are marketed as gift cards.
There are exceptions to the new rule.
The exceptions do not include cards, codes or devices that are:
- Useable solely for telephone services;
- Reloadable and not marketed or labeled as a gift card or gift certificate;
- Loyalty, award or promotional gift cards;
- Not marketed to the general public;
- Issued in paper form only; or
- Redeemable solely for admission to events.