Answers about Currency

How can I redeem mutilated (damaged) currency?

Currency is considered mutilated if

  • less than 50 percent of the note remains and
  • a special examination is required to determine its value.

Mutilated currency may be mailed or personally delivered to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.  Please see the Bureau of Engraving and Printing’s website which provides instructions for redeeming damaged currency. The website is:

Mutilated currency should be sent to:

Bureau of Engraving and Printing
Room 344A
P.O. Box 37048
Washington, D. C. 20013

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing does not redeem damaged coins. Any fused, melted or otherwise mutilated coins should be sent to the US Mint for evaluation.

Mutilated coins can be sent to the following address for evaluation:

U. S. Mint
Attn: Mutilated Coins
Post Office Box 400
Philadelphia, PA. 19105

Currency that is not mutilated should be exchanged through your local bank.