I am concerned that my bank may be preparing to foreclose on my mortgage. Where can I get help?

You should contact your lender first. Your lender is typically in the best position to know the facts of your situation and would be best able to assist you in correcting mistakes or working out a payment plan. You may also benefit from credit counseling from a qualified nonprofit credit counseling agency. For a list of such organizations that have been approved by the Department of Housing and Urban Development, you may call (800) 569-4287 or visit the following website: https://apps.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/hcc/fc/.

The Center for Foreclosure Solutions is another source for consumers who are concerned about foreclosure. The Center provides counselors 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They can be reached at 1-888-995-HOPE (4673).