Who should I contact to report a fraudulent scheme?

The following is a list of law enforcement agencies you can contact for assistance:

  • All debt elimination scams should be reported to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) by telephone at 1-877-FTC-HELP or via an electronic online complaint form, which can be completed on their website at www.ftc.gov.
  • If the fraudulent scheme is presented via the Internet or email, contact the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) at http://www.ic3.gov.
  • If the fraudulent scheme is presented by an individual or at a seminar, you should contact the local office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) or the local financial fraud law enforcement organization.
  • If the fraudulent scheme is presented via the U.S. Postal Service, you should file a complaint with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100 or via email at https://ehome.uspis.gov/fcsexternal/default.aspx.

For addition detailed information on Debt Elimination Schemes, please visit our website at www.occ.gov/topics/consumer-protection/fraud-resources/index-fraud-resources.html.

September 2019