How do I file a direct dispute?

If you are disputing inaccurate information about an account or other relationship you have with the furnisher then you should send written notice of the disputed information to the address provided by the furnisher. This address may be identified on the consumer report, or in a separate notice to you regarding how to submit direct disputes. If a specific address is not listed, then the dispute notice may be sent to any business address of the furnisher.

You must include the following information in your direct dispute notice:

  • Enough information to identify the account that is in dispute, such as an account number; and your name, address, and telephone number;
  • The specific account information that you are disputing and an explanation of the dispute; and
  • All supporting documentation or other information that the furnisher may reasonably need to confirm the dispute. Documentation could include a copy of the relevant section of the credit report, a fraud or identity theft affidavit, a court order, or account statements.