Can the bank change my credit card from a MasterCard to a Visa—or from a gas card/department store card to a MasterCard?

Yes. While the law does not permit the mailing of unsolicited cards, the bank can substitute one credit card for another credit card, as long as the cardholder requested or applied for and received the original credit card. Substitution is permissible as long as only one account remains active for use. Circumstances when a bank may send a substitute card include when there is a change in the account relationship, such as a change in the bank name, the name of the card, or the features of the card.

March 2010