Answers about Garnishments

What happens if my state provides greater protection against freezing or garnishing my money than does the new federal law?

The law of your state may provide greater protection against garnishment than does federal law.  In that case, your state’s law may apply.

You may want to contact an attorney or the consumer protection bureau in your state for more information.

June 2011