Last year I gave a vendor/merchant authorization to make a monthly automatic withdrawal from my checking account. Now I have canceled the service, but my bank won't stop the withdrawals. What can I do?

Write directly to the vendor/merchant to request no further debits to your checking account. You should provide the bank with a copy of the letter and inform the bank that these charges are no longer authorized. Keep a copy of the letter for your records.

You can contact your bank and place a stop payment order on the reoccurring transaction. Generally, a stop payment order is only good for six months.

To stop payment, you will need to notify your bank at least three business days before the transaction is scheduled to be made. Notice may be made orally or in writing. However, if the notice is made orally, the bank may require you to follow up with written notice within 14 days. If you don't provide written verification of the oral notice when required, the oral stop payment order ceases to be effective.