Answers about General Banking Issues

I want to access all the contents of my complaint file against my bank.

The OCC Customer Assistance Group does not provide consumer complaint information to the public. To request complaint information on a national bank, you will need to file a Freedom of Information (FOIA) request with the OCC.

You can access specific information about filing an OCC FOIA request by visiting How to Make a FOIA Request on the OCC Web site. You will find information on how to make a FOIA request, time frames, and fees. If you have questions, contact us at