Answers about Bank Errors
Select from the following questions about bank errors, correcting errors, and reporting errors.
- My checking account statement contains an error due to an electronic funds transfer (debit card / ACH / preauthorized withdrawal)? What should I do?
- How long can the bank take to correct an electronic funds transfer (EFT) error and credit the checking account?
- I filed a claim with the bank regarding an electronic fund transfer (EFT) error that happened five days ago. The bank has not responded. What can I do?
- What can I do about a check that was encoded incorrectly?
- I wrote a check for $89 but incorrectly wrote out the amount as "eight-hundred and ninety dollars." The bank paid it as $890. Shouldn't the bank have paid according to the numeral?
- I wrote a check for $300, but the bank posted it as $3,000. The bank told me to get the money from the other party. Is this correct?
- My bank owes a refund/reimbursement to my checking/savings account. How long does the bank have to reimburse these funds?
- A deposit was credited to my account by mistake. Does the bank have to get my permission before removing the funds?
- A deposit was credited to my account by mistake. Can the bank freeze the account?
- I made a deposit by check/cash and received a receipt, but the bank says that its records do not reflect the deposit. Since I have a receipt, doesn't the bank have to credit my account?
- The bank paid a check from my account that was for the wrong amount. The bank stated that I waited too long to report the loss. How long is too long?